2012年11月8日星期四

His pen fascinated me

His pen fascinated me. I leaned against the railings of the house opposite, enthralled. Ever and anon he seemed to be consulting one or other of the books of reference piled up on each side of him. Doubtless he was preparing a scholarly column for a daily paper. Presently a printer's devil would arrive, clamouring for his "copy." I knew exactly the sort of thing that happened. I had read about it in novels.
How unerring is instinct, if properly cultivated. Hardly had the clocks struck twelve when the emissaries--there were two of them, which showed the importance of their errand--walked briskly to No. 93A, and knocked at the door.
The writer heard the knock. He rose hurriedly, and began to collect his papers. Meanwhile, the knocking had been answered from within by the shooting of bolts, noises that were followed by the apparition of a female head.
A few brief questions and the emissaries entered. A pause,mont blanc pens.
The litterateur is warning the menials that their charge is sacred; that the sheets he has produced are impossible to replace. High words. Abrupt re-opening of the front door,nike shox torch 2. Struggling humanity projected on to the pavement. Three persons--my scribe in the middle, an emissary on either side--stagger strangely past me. The scribe enters the purple night only under the stony compulsion of the emissaries.
What does this mean?
I have it. The emissaries have become over-anxious. They dare not face the responsibility of conveying the priceless copy to Fleet Street. They have completely lost their nerve. They insist upon the author accompanying them to see with his own eyes that all is well. They do not wish Posterity to hand their names down to eternal infamy as "the men who lost Blank's manuscript."
So, greatly against his will, he is dragged off.
My vigil is rewarded. No. 93A harbours a Bohemian. Let it be inhabited also by me.
I stepped across, and rang the bell.
The answer was a piercing scream.
"Ah, ha!" I said to myself complacently, "there are more Bohemians than one, then, in this house."
The female head again appeared.
"Not another? Oh, sir, say there ain't another wanted," said the head in a passionate Cockney accent.
"That is precisely what there is," I replied. "I want----"
"What for?"
"For something moderate."
"Well, that's a comfort in a wiy,Discount UGG Boots. Which of 'em is it you want? The first-floor back?"
"I have no doubt the first-floor back would do quite well."
My words had a curious effect. She scrutinised me suspiciously.
"Ho!" she said, with a sniff; "you don't seem to care much which it is you get."
"I don't," I said, "not particularly."
"Look 'ere," she exclaimed, "you jest 'op it. See? I don't want none of your 'arf-larks here, and, what's more, I won't 'ave 'em. I don't believe you're a copper at all."
"I'm not. Far from it."
"Then what d'yer mean coming 'ere saying you want my first-floor back?"
"But I do. Or any other room,replica gucci handbags, if that is occupied."
"'Ow! _Room_? Why didn't yer siy so? You'll pawdon me, sir, if I've said anything 'asty-like. I thought--but my mistake."
"Not at all. Can you let me have a room? I notice that the gentleman whom I have just seen----"

没有评论:

发表评论