2012年12月2日星期日

I shake her hand

I shake her hand. "Yes, thank you. I'll read these through tonight. I'm sure they'll be very helpful."
"Come on, Grove, finish up so we can go play a game." Grayer has been pushing around his last tortellini for about five minutes. Thanks to Jane, it's already been a long afternoon for both of us. I look down at him, resting his blond head on his arm and staring horizontally at the last of his dinner. "Whatsa matter? Not hungry?"
"No." I reach for his plate. "No!" He grabs the edge, causing his fork to drop to the table.
"Okay, Grayer, just say 'Nanny, I'm not finished.' I can wait." I sit back down.
"Nanny!" Mrs. X comes bustling in. "Nanny." She's about to speak when she sees Grayer and the lone tortellini. "Did you have a good dinner, Grayer?"
"Yes," he says into his arm.
But she's already focused her attention back to me. "Could you
come out here for a minute?" I follow her into the dining room where she turns and stops so abruptly I accidentally step on her foot.
"I'm sorry, are you okay?"
She grimaces. "I'm fine. I just finished with Jane and it's paramount that we have a family meeting, to break the news to Grayer together about the r-e-j-e-c-t-i-o-n. So I'll need you to call Mr. X's office and find out when he could be scheduled to attend. The number's in the pantry-"
"Mrs. X?" Jane calls as she comes into the hall.
"Sure. No problem. Right away." I quickly slip back into the kitchen. Grayer is still making slow circles with his fork, the tortellini in orbit. I hover over him for a moment while listening to Jane and Mrs. X in the hallway.
"Yes, I've just spoken with Nanny. I'm going to see how soon my husband can come home for this meeting," Mrs. X says, waxing professional.
"His presence is really unnecessary as long as Grayer perceives his primary caregiver to be present. You should just go ahead and speak with him yourself." Jane's voice moves toward the front door and I head for the phone.
"Mr. X's office, Justine speaking. How may I help you,fake louis vuitton bags?"
"Justine? Hi, it's Nanny."
"Hi. How are you,UGG Clerance?" she asks over the din of a printer.
"Hanging in there. How about you?"
"Busy," she sighs. "The merger is making things crazy around here. I haven't been home before midnight in two weeks."
"That sucks."
"Well,LINK, hopefully Mr. X'll get a huge retention bonus and spread a little of it around." Don't count on it. "So, is Mrs. X liking the flowers,mont blanc pens?"
"What?"
"The roses-I thought it was overkill, but Mr. X just told me to put in a standing order."
"Yeah, it kind of feels like a standing order," I confirm.
"I'll make sure tomorrow's bouquet has more variety. What's her favorite flower?"
"She likes peonies," I whisper as Mrs. X breezes past Grayer to stand in front of me, expectantly.
"Where am I going to find peonies in March?" Justine sighs again as the printer makes a clacking sound. "Ugh, I can't believe this thing is broken again. Sorry, never mind, I'll do it. Anything else?"
"Oh, right. Mrs. X wants to schedule a family meeting about..."-I glance over her shoulder at the pasta pusher-"the little one. When could he be here?"

没有评论:

发表评论